Nature takes precedence over history outside Vietnam's former imperial capital Hue. Thuy Tu Lagoon is part of a stunning lagoon system that guests can discover by boat. The surrounding countryside, meanwhile, offers cultural highlights and outstanding beauty in abundance.
Depart from the hotel in Hue at approximately 8am and transfer by road in a private air-conditioned vehicle for approximately 45 minutes to the fishing village of Thanh My, located on the shore of the Thuy Tu Lagoon.
On arrival take a short walk and meet a local family who will welcome guests with an insight into their daily life and their livelihood from fishing on the lagoon. Take a ride on their small traditional style boat to visit to a local market off the beaten track – a place where tourists very rarely visit. Our local guide will be on hand to assist with the interaction with the fishermen. Return to the village to enjoy a simple and delicious homemade local lunch with the local host family which will be based on the catch of the day, while enjoying the lagoon views.
After lunch there is time to walk in the village and the surrounding rice paddy fields. Depending on the season different traditional farming activities may be underway such as rice re-planting or harvesting, and there is the option to join in these activities with the local farmers if desired!
Departing Thanh My and continue by vehicle transfer for approximately 30minutes passing through the scenic countryside. Stop to visit a Pagoda built in the 17th century on the Mount Tuy Van, which was recognized as one of Vietnam’s National Heritage sites in 1996. The energetic can climb the stairs leading to Dieu Ngu Tower and take a look at the large Cau Hai Lagoon. Also make a small detour close to where the lagoon meets the sea, to learn how a multitude of soldiers of the Southern Vietnamese army were captured during the fall of Hue to the Viet Cong in 1975.
Afterwards transfer by road back to Hue city (approx. 1 hour 45 minutes), arriving back about 4pm.
- It is also possible to start this day tour in Hue and finish in Danang/Hoi An for guests who will also be visiting Danang/Hoi An after Hue. Surcharge is payable (price on application)
- This tour is made in partnership with local villagers to an area that tourists very rarely visit – not to ‘tourist villages’ where local people are experienced in tourism.
- The timing of the tour is quite flexible.
- Depending on the water level, it may be necessary to take a couple of steps in the water to board the boat. Life jackets will be provided on-board the boat
As this area is still ‘new’ to tourism and in order to maximize the opportunities for local interaction and improve the experience for both visitors and locals, we recommend that group sizes be kept small – ideally to maximum 6 pax per party.
Price : Please contact us for pricing
Our services include:
- English or French speaking guide (for other languages supplements apply- see below)
- Tours and transfers as mentioned by private air conditioned vehicle
- Entrance fees for mentioned visits
Our services do not include:
- Other meals than mentioned
- Other services than mentioned
- International and domestic Flights
- Laundry, telephone calls and expenditure of a personal nature
- Tips, Travel insurance