Introduction to Japanese Culture - Half Day
Today’s activity can begin at 9:30, 12:00, or 14:30. Be immersed in Japanese culture with this insightful half day trip in Kyoto. Start with a visit to a machiya, a traditional wooden townhouse found throughout Kyoto. Take a tour of the beautifully restored house, learning about its architecture and history.
Then slip into a kimono, the iconic traditional Japanese garment. These full-length robes are worn by all Japanese when attending important events or formal occasions. Once appropriately dressed, meet with a local tea master for a traditional ceremony. Watch and learn as the master brews and services tea using slow, deliberate movements steeped in spirituality and ritual. Enjoy a cup of the bitter tea along with traditional sweet treats.
After the tea is finished, continue the cultural exploration of Kyoto. Experience an introductory course in origami, the Japanese art of paper folding. Under the guidance of a local artist, learn the secrets behind creating beautiful decorations and images with simple pieces of paper.
Wrap up the half day trip in Kyoto with new insights and a better understanding of Japanese culture. Return to the hotel or continue to explore Kyoto’s charming streets.
- This is a group activity, so there may be other participants in the tour. For a private activity in the machiya, supplementary charges apply.
- Participants will have to make their own way to the machiya.
- Please inform your Travel Consultant of the gender and height of each of your members to ensure that a properly fitting kimono will be prepared.
- Please inform your Travel Consultant of any special dietary requirements or physical conditions that you might have.
- Prices may change due to unforeseen circumstances.
- We strongly recommend the purchase of travel insurance (covering emergency medical evacuation).
- Please note that all of the above services and tours have yet to be booked. They are proposed for your information only and we will not make any reservations before we receive your confirmation.
- If one or some proposed service(s) is (are) not available at the time of booking, we will try to find other possibilities/options or other similar service(s) in order to avoid changes in the program.
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
We love to talk travel. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. We're here to help!