Delve into the world of geisha culture during this insightful night out in Kyoto. Start with an insightful walk through the atmospheric streets of Gion, the city’s geisha district. Then dine in the company of a maiko, an apprentice, enjoying fascinating conversations, graceful traditional dances and lively local drinking games.
Dinner with a Maiko - Evening
Get an in-depth, exclusive look at Japan’s geisha culture in Kyoto. Late this afternoon join a guide for a walking tour of Gion, Kyoto’s geisha district, followed by a truly special dinner with a maiko!
Start with an introduction, listening as the guide explains about geiko, the local name for Kyoto’s geisha, and their maiko, or apprentices. Then explore the atmospheric streets, walking past local shops and restaurants on the way to Yasaka Shrine. From here continue to Hanami-koji where lavish tea shops line the roadside.
Cross Kyoto’s famous Tatsumi Bashi Bridge, passing a legendary teahouse and small street shrine along the way. Arrive at Shirakawa Canal for a walk along the streets which are lined with cherry trees and brimming with charm.
After the walking tour, enter a local restaurant for a memorable dinner in the company of a maiko. Dine on a traditional multi-course meal called kaiseki ryori. Interact with the maiko, learning about her craft and the world of geisha. During dinner, the maiko will entertain by performing traditional dances and teaching popular Japanese drinking games.
Pose for photos with the maiko, capturing memories to share with friends and family back home, before bidding farewell to the hostess and returning to the hotel.
- Depending on the location of the restaurant, the walking tour may need to backtrack to one of the places mentioned above.
- For a group of over 7 people, one additional Maiko will be arranged. Please inquire for specific rates.
- A jikata, a geisha who specialises in playing traditional Japanese musical instruments, can be arranged at an additional charge. Please inquire for specific rates.
- Please contact your Travel Consultant for availability. Please note that all of the services and tours have yet to be booked and that they are proposed for your reference only. We will start making reservations after we receive your confirmation.
- Please inform your Travel Consultant of any special dietary requirements and physical conditions that you may have. We strongly recommend the purchase of a travel insurance that also covers emergency medical evacuation.
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
We love to talk travel. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. We're here to help!
The world of Luxury travel is always evolving. Stay in touch and we'll keep you up to speed!
For inspiring experiences, real-time updates, the latest trends or casual conversation, explore our social networks for all things travel.