Temples, volcanoes, villages and more- this Yogyakarta day tour has it all. Start the day with a remarkable sunrise at majestic Borobudur Temple and end with sunset at Ratu Boko. In between visit rural villages for a glimpse of local life, explore rugged volcanoes and discover other sacred sites.
Temples, Volcano & Villages - Full Day
Well before sunrise, leave the hotel around 03:30 with the local guide. Drive to Borobudur, a massive Buddhist temple and UNESCO Heritage site. Arriving in the dark, climb the stairs of the temple to the elevated upper platform. Soak up the quiet atmosphere on top of Borobudur Temple and watch as the sun slowly rises in the distance. Then explore the site in the daylight, getting a closer look at the magnificent carvings while the guide explains about the construction of this ancient site.
Refuel with breakfast at a nearby restaurant before continuing this Yogyakarta day tour with a journey by andong, a traditional horse and cart. Enjoy meandering slowly through the countryside before arriving at Tuksongo, a picturesque village with views of Borobudur in the distance. See the production of local goods such as noodles, tofu and tempe. Witness their traditional techniques, which have been used for generations of Javanese to create delicious cuisine.
Continue by car to Kaliurang, a rural village situated 900m above sea level. Take a short hike from the village to Pronojiwo Hill for spectacular views of this active volcano. Admire the wonderful views then head to a nearby restaurant for lunch.
This afternoon, delve further into Java’s rich heritage with a visit to Ullen Sentalu Museum. This privately owned heritage museum boasts an impressive collection of artefacts and crafts from the Sultans of Solo, Yogyakarta and the Mataram Kingdom.
Descend from the highlands to Prambanan, a collection of 9th century Hindu ruins. Learn about Indonesia’s Hindu culture while admiring the remarkable shrines and listening as the guide explains about the symbolism of the temples.
After this action packed day, it is time to unwind. Head to Ratu Boko, a historic temple located on an elevated plain to enjoy fabulous views as sun casts its last rays of the day. Once evening has fallen drive back to the hotel, arriving in Yogyakarta this evening. (B/L)
- Our rates are net and quoted in American dollars (USD), however some services (like transportation, guide fees, entrance fees,
some activities, meals, air tickets and train tickets and sometimes accommodations) are based on local prices in Indonesian
Rupiah in (IDR). In the case of a major change in the exchange rate (5% or more) between the Indonesian Rupiah and the
American dollar (USD), we reserve the right to correct our quotes to align our rates and revise the value of the American dollar
- All rates are based on the current gasoline price. Should the gasoline price increase by more than 10% we would readjust
transfer rates with a 30 days prior notice.
- Children aged between 2 and 12 years at the time of travel will receive a 15% discount off the Adult Price.
- All language guides other than English subject to availability during high season July until September.
- During the important religious festival of Idul Fitri, which falls on 05-Jun until 06-Jun-19, intense travel across the country, especially in Java, has to be expected with the consequence of long traffic jams. Overland travel is not advised during the two weeks from 29-May-19 to 13-Jun-19. Service availability during that time may be limited, tour guides may be travelling home, and restaurants may be closed.
Pick up and drop off timings from alternate destinations
- Pick up from Yogyakarta 03:30/19:00
- Pick up from Borobudur 04:30/ 19:00
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
We love to talk travel. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. We're here to help!