Be immersed in the rich fabric of Javanese life with a half day tour of Kotagede village. Connect with local culture while visiting a vibrant fresh market and meeting with artisanal bakers. Dine in a traditional house and explore ancient historical sites for a closer look at Kotagede’s fascinating heritage
Kotagede in Depth - Half Day
Fuel up with a good breakfast at the hotel before setting off on a half day cultural tour of Yogyakarta’s rural outskirts.
Drive away from the busy city and out into the countryside to Kotagede village. Thanks to its abundance of artisans, the area has earned the nickname Silver Village and is home to Central Java’s best examples of Javanese architecture.
Start with a visit to a baker’s house where traditional kembang waru cookies are made. Introduced by Dutch colonists, these special cookies are only made in Kotagede Village and are baked using recipes handed down through generations. After sampling a fresh kembang waru, continue to the central market and explore the stalls, learning about the items on sale and about the daily life of the residents of Kotagede.
The next stop on the tour is Yogyakarta’s oldest mosque. Walk around this 16th century building to admire the architecture and hear about the religious beliefs of Java. Finally, arrive at the Imogiri Royal Cemetery. Don Javanese dress, a sign of respect for the former kings, and walk up the 454 stairs to see the graves of the Mataram Kingdom’s royalty. Learn more about the region’s colourful past as the guide explains about the site and the symbolism found in its architecture.
Continue on foot through more laneways to admire the kalang style of architecture, a blend of Javanese and colonial styles. Then cap off the tour with a visit to a local joglo style house for lunch. Enjoy a delicious meal in this atmospheric setting before returning to Yogyakarta this afternoon. (L)
- Our rates are net and quoted in American dollars (USD), however some services (like transportation, guide fees, entrance fees,
some activities, meals, air tickets and train tickets and sometimes accommodations) are based on local prices in Indonesian
Rupiah in (IDR). In the case of a major change in the exchange rate (5% or more) between the Indonesian Rupiah and the
American dollar (USD), we reserve the right to correct our quotes to align our rates and revise the value of the American dollar
- All rates are based on the current gasoline price. Should the gasoline price increase by more than 10% we would readjust
transfer rates with a 30 days prior notice.
- Children aged between 2 and 12 years at the time of travel will receive a 15% discount off the Adult Price.
- All language guides other than English subject to availability during high season July September.
- During the important religious festival of Idul Fitri, which falls on 05-Jun until 06-Jun-19, intense travel across the country, especially in Java, has to be expected with the consequence of long traffic jams. Overland travel is not advised during the two weeks from 29-May-19 to 13-Jun-19. Service availability during that time may be limited, tour guides may be travelling home, and restaurants may be closed.
Pick up and drop off timings from alternate destinations
- Pick up time from Yogyakarta 09:00/ 14:00
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
We love to talk travel. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. We're here to help!