Delve into the wonders of Prambanan temple complex on this in-depth Java day tour. Spend an afternoon exploring the Buddhist and Hindu monuments, closely examining remarkable architectural elements and learning about Indonesian history and culture. After sunset, watch a memorable Ramayana Ballet performance set against a backdrop of illuminated temples.
All About Prambanan - Full Day
Meet with a knowledgeable local guide this afternoon and set off for the Prambanan temples, the best examples of ancient Buddhist and Hindu architecture in Indonesia.
Start with one of the least visited temples, Candi Kalasan an 8th Century Buddhist temple thought to be dedicated to the Bodhisattva Tara. Explore the surrounding stupas, which are the graves of Monks from nearby Candi Sari, and admire the temples architecture. Learn why Candi Kalasan is believed to be the prototype for Prambanan while taking a closer look at its stucco carvings.
Continue to Prambanan, a UNESCO listed ancient Hindu temple. Built in the 9th century, this collection of sharp, jagged temples features three main inner shrines dedicated to the Hindu trinity: Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. Discover history and symbolism of the temples while the guide points out the unique architectural elements of Prambanan.
The next visit on this Java day tour is Candi Sewu, the largest Buddhist temple in the Prambanan area. Then carry on to nearby Candi Plaosan, a Hindu temple that also incorporates Buddhist elements. After exploring this elevated temple, find a quiet place to sit and enjoy the spectacular views of Prambanan, Jogja city and Mount Merapi as the sun is setting.
After dark, return to Prambanan for dinner followed by a spectacular performance of the Hindu epic story of King Rama. More than 200 dancers recreate the legend through song and dance on the open stage with Prambanan illuminated as a backdrop.
Once the curtain has closed on this memorable show, return to the hotel for a good night’s sleep.(D)
- Our rates are nets and quoted in American dollars (USD), however some services (like transportation, guide fees, entrance fees, some activities, meals, air tickets and train tickets and sometimes accommodations) are based on local prices in
Indonesian Rupiah in (IDR). In the case of a major change in the exchange rate (5% or more) between the Indonesian Rupiah
and the American dollar (USD), we reserve the right to correct our quotes to align our rates and revise the value of the American dollar (USD).
- All rates are based on the current gasoline price. Should the gasoline price increase by more than 10% we would readjust transfer rates with a 30 days prior notice
- Children aged between 2 and 12 years at the time of travel will receive a 15% discount off the Adult Price.
- All language guides other than English subject to availability during high season July until September.
- During the important religious festival of Idul Fitri, which falls on 15 Jun until 16 Jun 17, intense travel across the country, especially in Java, has to be expected with the consequence of long traffic jams. Overland travel is not advised during the two weeks from 30 May 17 to 30 Jun 17. Service availability during that time may be limited, tour guides may be travelling home, and restaurants may be closed.
Pick up and drop off timings from alternate destinations
- Pick up from Borobudur 11:30 / 22:00
- Pick up from Losari, Salatiga 11:00 / 22:00
- Pick up from Yogyakarta 13:00 / 21:30
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
We love to talk travel. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. We're here to help!