Sit back, relax and enjoy a remarkable performance of Japanese Kabuki theatre. Be enchanted by this rich tradition as a spectacle of music, dance and acting unfolds on stage. Learn about its origins and the story lines from an expert local guide, gaining a better understanding of Japan's cultural heritage.
Kabuki Guided Tour - Half Day
Today's tour can begin at 09:30 or at 15:00. Gain a better appreciation of Japan's remarkable cultural fabric with this guided tour of Tokyo's kabuki theatre. Meet with an expert guide for an introductory lesson to this UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage art form. Over tea and Japanese sweets, learn about the storylines and characters found in a traditional performance. Hear the intriguing history of kabuki, which dates back more than 400 years.
Following this insightful conversation, continue to Tokyo's Kabukiza Theatre for an authentic Kabuki show. Enjoy a series of performances, each including elaborate costumes, exotic makeup and wigs and over-exaggerated movements. Be enchanted as historic tales unfold on stage, accompanied by live music and colourful stage backdrops. Although many traditional performances last for a full day, these days the show consists of three or four short shows, each around one hour in duration with a short intermission in between.
After the curtain drops on the final act, return to the hotel or continue exploring Tokyo's sites and culture.
- Maximum of 6 persons applies
- Above price is for 3A Grade seats ・higher seating grades or box seats can be arranged at additional cost.
- Explanation takes place before the performance; guide may accompany the guest during the performance at additional cost.
- Kabuki shows are year-round but tickets are subject to availability and cannot be guaranteed until purchased one month in advance.
- English audio guide rental (not included) is available for 700 JPY for use during the show (plus refundable 1000 JPY deposit). Alternatively, a device that offers subtitles in English is available for 500 JPY for use during the show (plus refundable 1000 JPY deposit).
- Formal dress code is not required, though respectable attire is recommended.
- Please contact your Travel Consultant for availability. Please note that all of the services and tours have yet to be booked and that they are proposed for your reference only. We will start making reservations after we receive your confirmation.
- Please inform your Travel Consultant of any special dietary requirements and physical conditions that you may have. We strongly recommend the purchase of a travel insurance that also covers emergency medical evacuation.
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
We love to talk travel. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. We're here to help!