Step off the tourist trail with a day trip to the Karangasem highlands. Visit sacred water palaces and traditional crafts workshops for a glimpse of Bali’s rich cultural tapestry. Then lace up the boots for a hike through the beautiful forests and lush jungles that fill the island’s eastern corner.
Karangasem In Detail with Trekking - Full Day
Take a scenic drive through the hills to Karangasem, a charming town in eastern Bali. The first stop is Tirta Gangga, one of Bali’s sacred water palaces. Founded in the early twentieth century, this palace is filled with decorative ponds, natural bathing pools and lush gardens. Stroll around the grounds with the guide, learning about the palace’s history and the significance of water in the Hindu religion.
Then take a gentle hike through the highlands. Get a true taste of Bali’s natural beauty while passing through lush forests, verdant rice paddies and other unspoiled landscapes.
After 1.5 until 2 hours of walking, arrive at a local restaurant. Refuel with a delicious lunch before resuming the guided tour of Karangasem. Visit the 20th century Taman Ujung Water Palace, an architectural oddity. Explore its long bridges and pathways, stopping to learn about the unusual European-influenced structures and to hear how, in the early 1900s, witches were punished in the palace’s pools.
Before the day comes to a close, visit some of Karangasem’s cottage industries. Stop at a chocolate factory to see, step by step, how locally grown cocoa beans are processed into delicious chocolate. Then visit a family home to witness traditional weaving and learn about Bali’s rich cultural heritage.
Following this in depth exploration of Karangasem and its surroundings, bid farewell to the east coast and return to the hotel. (L)
- Our rates are nett and quoted in American dollars (USD), however some services (like transportation, guide fees, entrance fees, some activities, meals, air tickets and train tickets and sometimes accommodations) are based on local prices in Indonesian Rupiah in (IDR). In the case of a major change in the exchange rate (5% or more) between the Indonesian Rupiah and the American dollar (USD), we reserve the right to correct our quotes to align our rates and revise the value of the American dollar (USD).
- All rates are based on the current gasoline price. Should the gasoline price increase by more than 10% we would readjust
transfer rates with a 30 days prior notice
- Children aged between 2 and 12 years at the time of travel will receive a 15% discount off the Adult Price.
- All language guides other than English subject to availability during high season July untilSeptember.
- During Nyepi Day, an important religious day in Bali, which falls on 28 Mar 17, visitors are not allowed to leave the premises of hotels from 06:00 until 06:00 on the following day (24 hour). The airport will not operate any flights and all public activities will cease but hotels will remain operate with limited staff
Pick up and drop off timings from alternate destinations
- Pick up from Ubud 08:30 / 17:00
- Pick up from Candidasa, Sidemen 09:00 / 16:30
- Pick up from Sanur 08:00 / 18:00
- Pick up from Amed, Tulamben 08:30 / 17:00
- Pick up from Seminyak, Jimbaran are not possible
- Pick up from Nusa Dua, Uluwatu are not possible
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
We love to talk travel. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. We're here to help!