Updates on Lombok Earthquake
(Updated at 18:00 — 9 August 2018)
This page will keep you up to date with all the latest news regarding the earthquake in Lombok, Indonesia and the impact that its eruption has on travellers and operations on the ground.
- Supplier liabilities do not allow us to cancel a booking at no cost, and EXO Travel applies the normal cancellation policies as indicated in our booking confirmations.
- For clients who have booked Lombok and the Gili Islands as part of their itineraries, we will advise the possibility of a stay as well as any cancellation charges for the Lombok portion depending on the respective hotel and area.
- Many of the hotels which have not been affected much, do still waive cancellation charges during the month of August, or at least until a certain date in August.
- Hotels and suppliers in other parts of Indonesia do charge cancellation fees in full and possibilities to redirect are limited.
- We offer to reroute travel itineraries of clients who were supposed to combine any destination in Indonesia with Lombok or the Gili Islands and deem a partial amendment to travel arrangements as reasonable.
- The respective solutions will be offered and facilitated by our Travel Consultants within the existing budget as far as chosen itineraries allow.
- A transfer of bookings to other EXO Travel destinations, such as Thailand, is not possible.
- All guests have been relocated to Bali.
- We recommend to avoid booking accommodation and excursions on the Gili Islands due to more sustained damage to the infrastructure at least until mid September and until further updates. Other excursions that we typically offer in Lombok can be operated with the exception of those to the North and to the Gili Islands.
- We kindly ask agents to go through our usual contact for questions or concerns regarding specific files.
- We will continue to closely monitor the situation, work on the rerouted itineraries, and update you directly on a case-by-case basis of any changes affecting touring for our clients.
- Guests on the ground can contact us at our 24-hr customer care +62 (0) 81 23 99 02 658 / + 62 (0) 81 23 91 66 909 / + 62 (0) 81 28 32 84 290 should they have any urgent needs.
- There was a a slightly stronger yet short aftershock at 13:25 local time, 9 August with its epicenter in North Lombok. Our team on the ground has reported of no further damage. In Bali, mild tremors were felt for a few seconds.
We understand travellers have some concerns but all of Bali is unaffected as is the south of Lombok. There is no damage, and excursions and daily life carry on normally.
Timeline of Updates from EXO:
8 August – A few mild aftershocks were experienced on 6 & 7 August. We have been able to establish connections to hotels, partners and friends in Lombok. The people have started to rebuild damaged housing, and hoteliers have started to assess any damage.
The infrastructure on Lombok mainland remains largely intact. Some of the hotels in North Lombok, the Gili Islands and Senggigi have suffered sustained damage and are not operational, others have suffered less damage and are only partially operated, while others again, particularly also in the South of Lombok, have not been damaged at all and are fully operational. We do have a full overview of the properties and are able to provide information on a case by case basis.
6 August – The physical damage has mainly affected local residences and public infrastructure. A number of hotels, mainly in the Gili Islands as well as in North Lombok have also been damaged.
5 August – A magnitude 6.9 earthquake struck the island of Lombok in Indonesia this Sunday evening, at 18:46. Its epicentre was located on the northern side of the island of Lombok and the earthquake was also felt in neighbouring Bali. The quake triggered a brief tsunami warning and damaged buildings as far away as Denpasar in Bali. It was followed by aftershocks as strong as magnitude-5.4.