Hida-Furukawa is a small, quiet farm village in Gifu Prefecture located 15 minutes away from Takayama. With an impressive view on the surrounding Japanese Alps, it is best known for its traditional architecture of its old buildings and machiya-style traditional houses built by experienced craftsmen centuries ago. Like other towns in the Hida Region, Hida-Furukawa is also famous for its high-quality sake (rice wine) brought about by its rich rice fields, clean waters, and favorable weather.
Today, get a chance to explore the streets and outskirts of Hida-Furukawa on a bicycle together with a local guide. Spend half a day cycling around this mountain village, passing by rice paddies and old houses, and have a closer look at the lifestyle in this rural region of the Hida Alpine area.
Distance and journey time (approximation):
Takayama Station to Hida-Furukawa Station: 15 min
Total cycling distance: 22 km
Availability and time:
Late April to mid-November: 09:00-12:30, 14:00-17:30
Mid-November to December: 09:00-12:30 only
*Tour dates, especially right before and after winter, may be altered depending on a number of factors (i.e. snow, weather, sunset times, etc.).
- Please contact your Travel Consultant for availability and pricing.
- Join-in (shared) and private options available.
- Cycling & Hiking in Hida is a special, on-request-basis tour that we offer to our more adventurous clients. Tour dates are usually from late April to October and tour duration is approx. 5 hours. It includes cycling in the streets and outskirts of Hida-Furukawa, a short hiking in the woods to see a charming waterfall, and a short break in the middle to enjoy an o-bento (traditional Japanese-style lunch box).
- Private tours on the following peak season dates are subject to a surcharge: April 10-20, 20-30; May 1-7; August 10-13; October 8 and 11.
- Although the terrain is almost completely flat, please inform your Travel Consultant of any condition that may require special care.
Our Services Include:
- English-speaking guide
- Cycling equipment (mountain bike and helmet)
Our Services Do Not Include:
- International and domestic flights (quoted separately)
- Transfers to and from the venue
- Meals and/or drinks other than mentioned above
- Personal expenses (e.g. drinks, laundry, telephone, and other expenditures of a personal nature)
- Travel insurance (please see ‘Important Notes’)
- Other services not clearly indicated in the package inclusions above
- We strongly recommend the purchase of travel insurance (covering emergency medical evacuation).
- Please note that all of the above services and tours have yet to be booked. They are proposed for your information only and we will not make any reservations before we receive your confirmation.
- If one or some proposed service(s) is (are) not available at the time of booking, we will try to find other possibilities/options or other similar service(s) in order to avoid changes in the program.