A fixture in Japan’s musical culture since the 6th century, the taiko drum is one of the country’s most loved instruments, and is played during festivals and traditional events. This immersive journey in Tokyo allows guests the opportunity to learn some taiko drumming skills.
Taiko was brought into Japan through Korean and Chinese influences during the 6th century and quickly became one of the country’s most loved instruments to be played during Japanese festivals and traditional events.
In today’s activity, guests get the chance to try their hands at playing the traditional drum with the guidance of a professional Japanese taiko player.
The class commences with a short performance, inspiring the audience’s hidden gift in drumming. It is then followed by a dynamic workshop, wherein the guests get to play different kinds of drums including the Okinawan hand-held drum and the huge wadaiko. Memorable photos are taken later in the day and guests have the option to wear a haori (lightweight jacket) and a hachimaki (headband) before posing for the camera.
Lesson duration: 60 - 90 mins (not including transfers)
Every day except Mondays
- Please contact your Travel Consultant for availability and pricing.
- This is a group activity, so there may be other participants present.
- Please inform your Travel Consultant of the age of every child participant (if any) and/or if there are any physical conditions that you might have.
Our Services Include:
- English-speaking guide (supplementary charges apply for guides of languages other than English).
(Note: For guides of other languages, availability must always be checked).
- Lesson fees.
- Hotel pick-up fee and public transportation fee to the venue.
(Note: The use of taxis and for pick up from hotels located outside central Tokyo, additional charges apply).
- Prices may change due to unforeseen circumstances.
Our Services Do Not Include
- International and domestic flights (quoted separately).
- Transfer from the venue to the hotel/other location.
- Personal expenses (e.g. drinks, laundry, telephone, and other expenditures of a personal nature).
- Travel insurance (please see ‘Important Notes’).
- Other services not clearly indicated in the package inclusions above.