Tucked away in the mountains, Takayama has fostered a distinctive food culture. On this walking journey, guests will investigate the city's unique customs and traditions before being led to a range of choice dining spots to try specialties such as rice dumplings, home made confectionary and local sake.
Due to its location, Takayama has long been isolated from the rest of Japan and developed very distinctive cultural traits, which are strongly reflected in its Alpine architecture and traditional food.
This morning tour shows you around Takayama’s old town and market, an area full of traditional houses, shops and restaurants, all of which have maintained their strong traditional touch.
As the history of each one of these shops is closely related to the city’s customs and culture, walking around the city center and sampling the many different products that are on offer will definitely be the best way for to learn about the city’s traditions.
The guide will lead guests to some of the most famous spots in town and provide many chances to savor some of the most famous products of the region, such as miso (Japanese paste made from soybeans, salt and rice), Takayama’s typical rice dumplings dipped in soy sauce, and some Japanese style home made sweets and confectionery. There will also be a possibility to taste the locally produced sake.
A tasty way to expand your knowledge about Takayama’s delicious cuisine and unique traditions!
Start (guided tour): 09:30
Duration: 2.5 hr
Price : Please contact for pricing.
- This tour is not available during year-end holidays (from December 30th to January 3rd).
- Please inform your travel agent of any special dietary requirements that you may have.
Our service include
- English-speaking tour leader.
- Local food and sake samples (additional food orders will be charged extra and regulated on spot).
Our service do not include
- Transfers to and from the venue.
- International and domestic flights (quoted separately)
- Meals other than mentioned above
- Personal expenses (e.g. laundry, telephone, and other expenditures of a personal nature)
- Travel insurance (please see ‘Important Notes’)
- Other services not clearly indicated in the package inclusions above
- We strongly recommend the purchase of travel insurance (covering emergency medical evacuation).
- Please note that all the above services and tours have yet to be booked; they are proposed for your information only and we will not make any reservations before we receive your confirmation to do so.